How to Manage Stock for VirtueMart Product Variants
Date: June 5, 2014
VirtueMart custom fields is quite a straightforward way to customize your product catalog and create selectable variants for customers, who can, in their turn, adjust the purchase and get positive shopping experience. Selling abundance of products that come in variations, you should ensure manageable inventory levels.
Starting from version 22.214.171.124 Store Manager for VitrueMart supports product custom fields with stock control. Why do more and more store owners resort to this functional capability? Having created VirtueMart stockable variants you can assure that their quantity is on sufficient level and they are accessible for people who are going to make the purchase. Keeping track of VirtueMart product variants is definitely good practice that helps maintain sustainable inventory for all the products.
Starting from Scratch
To create stockable child products you should firstly proceed with the following:
- Add custom field “Stock” with plug-ins custom field type
- “Select a plug-in” field should acquire “Stockable variants” value
- Add options and values on the basis of which product variables will be created (e.g “size” as option and “L”, “S”, “M” as values)
Add Stockable Child Products
Once you are ready with above mentioned preparations, you can commence on VirtueMart stockable variants creating. From the variety of merchandise you store sells, select ones that will home options and will represent choices at the front-end. To quickly reach required products you may resort to filter and search options Store Manager comprises.
For stockable variations to be available for this or that product, you should put it into focus and switch to Custom Fields tab in the lower grid. As you can see on the screenshot, currently this product has no custom fields assigned and, respectively, it has no variants.
On the toolbar you can find list of custom fields management operations. It is allowed to assign new custom fields to selected product, delete, copy/paste and move them up/down.
Your task now is to assign “Stock” custom field to current product. Click on “Add Custom Field to Product” option. There will expand the menu listing all the custom fields available at the moment. Choose the one on the basis of which stockable product options will be created.
Once this type of VirtueMart custom field is being assigned to an item, there will appear “Click to Edit Stockable Variants” option, that is responsible for stockable product options. After you click on this option, you will derive “Stockable Child Variants” window, where you can manage product variations with stock control. What exactly functional possibilities does it offer?
- Add variant - this option allows to add product variation. After you press it new record will appear below. You can change variation (child product) name, specify its SKU, set quantity, price mark-ups or mark-downs. Option values for product variant should be selected from the drop-down available under option name.
- Add missing variants - if you want to automatically add all the possible variants for selected product, you should fall back upon this functionality. In such a way, if there are two options each having three values, Store Manager will add nine product variants.
- Delete selection - unnecessary product variations can be removed with the help of this option
- Generate child name - use this functionality to give child products unique names on the basis of selected options.
- Export VirtueMart stockable variants - get product variations and details listed in .csv, .xml, .html,.xls, .xlsx, .txt.
Once necessary product variables are configured, click on Ok button and save details pressing Apply button accessible in the lower grid.
Store Manager for VirtueMart enhances product management allowing to manage stock for product variants. It is possible to set quantity for each product option, designate different prices and automatically generate product selections what greatly contribute to ultimate web shop running.
Download free fully-functional trial version of the application - http://virtuemart-manager.com/free-download