Assign VirtueMart Products to Necessary Categories Having Category IDs in the File
VirtueMart import of products is definitely the most widespread practice used by store owners for catalog handling, since makes it approachable to handle abundance of merchandise in one go. Datafeed undergoes import and catalog gets replenished with new entities or renewed with actual product details.
Category associations can’t be omitted when uploading products to database. VirtueMart categories stand for logical products organization. You need to place items to appropriate categories or subcategories of definite level so that shoppers will be able to reach them easily.
Oftentimes store owners want to accomplish different manipulations and place products to more than one category or rearrange category associations in the process of data upload. Logically, category or categories each of product will be transferred to, should be indicated in respective column of the import file. Store Manager for VirtueMart makes product upload flexible and lets assign merchandise to applicable categories having category IDs in the file.
Points to Consider
- you can use category IDs only if categories already exist at VirtueMart
- on condition that necessary categories have not been added and you want them to be created in the process of VirtueMart product import, entire category path must be provided in the file (Home/Computers/Netbooks)
- if some wares should have more than one category assigned, their names or IDs should be provided in corresponding column but separated by definite terminating character
Sample file contains several products, each should be displayed in different categories. Category IDs are separated by pipe symbol.
Import Settings Configuring
Launch the import wizard and select datasheet that stores products and associated info that is to be uploaded to store database.
Wizard step that comes next offers variety of data uploads options, that let you adjust VirtueMart import of products. You should pay attention to the following settings:
- Product identifier - select suitable identifier, the one specified in the import file
- Category identification method - so far as IDs are provide in the file, select Category ID
- Multiple value separator - character indicated in this field is used to detach multiple values within one column. Make sure multiple IDs are separated by this character.
In case some of product listings have no category indicated in the file, directly on this step you can select one of existing VirtueMart categories these merchandise will be uploaded to in the course of file appending.
One more thing to inspect is fields mapping. This is actually the procedure of file columns to VirtueMart database fields linking.
Look through data to be imported on the preview step and if everything is organized accurately, commence on the data import.
Store Manager for VirtueMart is being continually endowed with new functional possibilities on purpose to refine data management and enhance business performance. Identifying categories by IDs during VirtueMart import of products is one more maneuver to shorten time spent on pre-import arrangements.